
I watched Howl's Moving Castle today. I don't really know why because it's not my usual thing and I have like eighty million other movies waiting around to be seen, but something intrigued me about it. All I knew is that it was supposed to be good. And then it surprised me by being way better than I expected.
I love that. I loved Pitch Black for that reason - it was a film I expected to be just a straight cheesy horror sci fi thing but it turned out to be a film about real human emotions. Same with In Bruges - it was supposed to be an action comedy, but it turned into this really neat combination of comedy and drama that challenged my brain.
Those are my favorite movies - the ones that aren't supposed to be as good as they are. That's what I want to write. I want to write films that aren't supposed to be as good as they are, so that I can spend my entire career surprising people.
I think that's the best compliment when somebody tells me they were surprised by how much they liked the story. Maybe that's why I choose to write about things like zombies. Expectations for zombies are pretty low.

0 Yorumlar