Header Ads Widget

Ticker

6/recent/ticker-posts

Beautiful Tomorrowland, November 1959

Today I have three wonderful 1959 photos from Lou and Sue, so you know they're going to be good. All of these feature Tomorrowland, from only a few months after the big additions of the Matterhorn, the Monorail, and the Submarine Voyage. 

This first one is neat because we can see that Lou is aboard the Monorail, looking out the window (he was in the rearmost compartment) back toward the Yacht Bar and the Matterhorn, along with the Skyway and the ramp bringing guests up to the Monorail station.


Now Lou's Monorail train was underway, gliding smoothly along the curved beamway, passing above the Autopia roads - but where are all the cars?? I wonder if the Autopia was down for maintenance? 


This third one might not be beautiful, but it is the most interesting because it shows a backstage maintenance area that I am totally unfamiliar with. It appears to be a dry dock. Oompa Loompas in white coveralls are working feverishly!


Work is clearly being done on a submarine, one that was perhaps not finished when the Submarine Voyage debuted five months earlier. It still appears to have some red primer waiting for some gray paint. One man in a suit gazes down at the sub, I wonder if he was a Disney employee, or maybe even a General Dynamics executive?


Thanks as always to Lou and Sue!

Yorum Gönder

0 Yorumlar